Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Time to re-learn my ABCs, Cyrillic style

Kyrgyzstan was part of the Soviet Union until achieving independence in 1991.  The Soviets brought a standardized system of language and education to the region.  Even though they have emphasized Kyrgyz culture since independence, the Kyrgyz have retained Russian as one of their national languages and it is the main language used in urban settings, especially in the capital, Bishkek.  So, in order to have a sense of what's going on, I am starting to learn some basic Russian.  And in order to do that, a person has to learn the Cyrillic alphabet.  Time to re-learn my ABCs, Cyrillic style.


Above is the Cyrillic upper and lower case followed by the corresponding English equivalent.  After about 10 minutes of studying I feel as though I've suddenly become dyslexic, but I'll keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment