Saturday, February 20, 2016

Images of Crumbling and Decay I

One thing that has struck me since I have been in Kyrgyzstan is how various parts of the country's infrastructure are in a process of crumbling and decay. When Kyrgyzstan's Soviet institutions disappeared, almost overnight, the West brought almost nothing in to replace them and the Kyrgyz did not have the resources to replace them themselves.  That's why I'm here: I am a tiny part of an initiative that will hopefully contribute to the rebuilding and upgrading process in the area of higher education.  Periodically, I will post images that document this disintegration, especially in the public sector.  This first group of pictures is from the basement of the National Historical Museum, which was once an enormous showcase Soviet project.  Now the museum is almost completely without visitors and funding as reflected in my images below.


Men's room in the National Museum


Washroom in the National Museum


Abandoned cloakroom in the National Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment