Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A beautiful symbol



I learned many things in my time hanging around students from Central America, one of which was how closely one's identity can be tied to the symbolism and meaning of the flag of one's home country.  Perhaps that's why I seem to appreciate the beauty and meaning of the Kyrgyz flag more than I would have when I was young.  The red of the background symbolizes bravery and the yellow sun represents peace and wealth.  If you have nothing to keep you busy, count the number of rays of the sun.  You will find that there are 40, representing the 40 Kyrgyz tribal leaders who fought off the Mongol invaders in the epic literature of the nation.  And if you look at the center of the sun you will notice that it is a stylized representation of the top of a yurt, the dome-like tent that serves as home to many Kyrgyz herders.  The yurt is a symbol of the home that is the land of Kyrgyzstan.

No comments:

Post a Comment