Friday, November 11, 2016

The Power of a Paper Clip

In 1940, the Nazis invaded the nation of Norway so that they could control the entrance to the Baltic Sea and keep the shipping lanes open that provided the much needed raw materials to fuel their war efforts.

While weak militarily, the Norwegian people were a strong and defiant lot who resisted the fascist invaders as best they could.  In the fall of 1940, students at the University of Oslo decided to wear paper clips on their lapels to demonstrate their resistance to the Nazi leaders who had instituted policies mandating that fascist ideology be taught in universities and schools throughout Norway.

Soon Norwegians from the Baltic Sea to the Arctic tundra were wearing paperclips as a sign of their defiance.  And not just one paper clip, but even necklaces and bracelets of the humble piece of office supply were worn by those resisting the evil that overtaken their land.

Why the paper clip?  It is as humble an item as one can find.  Yet, it is an item that binds things together and symbolizes unity and togetherness. What better symbol of resistance could one find?

I was reminded of this story after the election and the victory of the forces that espouse hatred and division and neo-fascist ideology.  If one studies the historical parallels carefully it is not unreasonable to state that we find ourselves in a situation that bears some frightening resemblance to Italy of the 1920s or...even worse. That is why resistance in our country must begin now, must begin today. We can't make the same mistake of passivity that the Italians of old made or the mistake of indifference and cowardice my German relatives living in the "Fatherland" made decades ago.

That is why I have decided to adopt the symbol of the brave Norwegians.  I will be wearing a paper clip from today forward.  It will serve as a reminder to me that I will not allow myself to go to bed on any day I am on this planet without having made at least one concrete effort of resistance.  It can be writing letters to public officials, it can be advocating for my personal issue of opposition to U.S. use of torture on prisoners, it can be providing money to causes that further justice, it can be posting essays against the actions taken by the Trumpian government, but each day I have an obligation that something must be done.  And I will not remove my paperclip for four years, or longer if needed, until the danger is gone and the ideals of my country prevail.

I have already found my paper clip.  It comes from the desk of one of my dearest friends here in Kyrgyzstan. Since his nation's independence he has fought for justice and for the education of his people, sometimes at his own personal risk.  Literally.  For example, during the uprisings here in 2010 against an evil leader who was becoming a dictator, my friend risked his safety to help lead this cause.  I can't think of a better person from whom this humble paper clip should come as his commitment to what is right will serve as inspiration to me on the darker days of discouragement that we all will face.

Eventually the Nazis figured out what was going on and wearing a paper clip became a criminal offense in Norway, but in time the good prevailed as the Norwegians never gave up their resistance.  I invite you to join me in embracing the paper clip as a symbol of unity against that which is unjust and wrong.  The humble paper clip can gain the power to bind our hearts together, no matter where we all find each other, and it will remind us that every day is a day of labor for the cause of peace, justice, kindness, mercy, and equal treatment for all.

My new accessory 

No comments:

Post a Comment