Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Even more sentences I never thought I would utter during my lifetime

It's the first day of snow here and only 151 days until Spring arrives.
(My thoughts on the weather in Naryn in mid-October.)

An OB-GYN is my primary medical care provider. 
(That's the specialty of the physician assigned to our campus.)

And I don't understand a word of what my OB-GYN says.
(She only speaks Russian and Kyrgyz.)

I can't read the label on my medication.
(They're also only in Russian and Kyrgyz.)

Did you just say that the urologist was treating your sinus infection?
(A question addressed to one of my students who answered in the affirmative.)

The Cubs just won the World Series!
(The first time in 108 years. Is this a sign the apocalypse is coming?)

Because you've run out of vegetables and meat there's only pasta, rice, or potatoes for dinner?
(Words about the starch offerings presented by the cafeteria, spoken to our Pakistani chef, while in carb-rich Kyrgyzstan)

Quick, get my OB-GYN, I suddenly feel horribly ill.
(Gasped to my colleagues during the later returns on election night.)

Donald Trump is going to be President of the United States.
(Forget the Cubs winning. This TRULY is a sign of the apocalypse.)

It felt even worse than a regular hangover, because you never experienced any of the pleasure of the buzz.
(The consensus of all the North Americans living on campus, on what waking up to face a Trump Presidency felt like.)

Do you know any Canadians I could marry?
(I actually didn't say this. Technically this is a passage taken from an Email sent to a Canadian acquaintance.)

Wow, if this is part of God's plan, He is one really twisted dude.
(Said to myself, while staring out my office window after the election results were known.)

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Well, I mean I don't love the circumstances, but I love the moment of levity you bring to it. Needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levity. Sometimes it is the only response I can muster. And it can be a good form of resistance. I've been thinking of you a lot jlh and how I miss our talks together.

      Delete