Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Lunch and Tea at Bublyk

Probably my favorite lunch place is a coffee shop a couple of blocks from work called Bublyk, which means bagel in Russian.  Bublyk is the spot where trendy, young, professional women take their lunches.  I am about the polar opposite of Bublyk's usual demographic, but they let me in the door anyway.

Even the catchy little phrases decorating the cafe's support pillars, I find amusing.  They range from the prescriptive ("Have you washed your hands?") to the oxymoronic ("Be fresh and positive") to the ones that should be tattooed on Donald Trump's forehead ("It's never late to learn something").

 
I enjoy how Bublyk prepares your tea.  They use a French press.  In this case, I have tea leaves, apples, and cinnamon in my press.  The flavor is so intense you don't need to add sweetener.


The restaurant's namesake is also delicious.  A New Yorker would object, but I enjoy Bublyk's thinner, less dense variation on bagels.  I ordered the chicken bagel sandwich which is a toasted sesame, poppy seed bagel with chicken, barbecue sauce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce.

 
One of the best features of Kyrgyzstan's culinary landscape is its soups.  Every soup I've had in a restaurant has been outstanding.  Bublyk's homemade cream of mushroom soup with bagel croutons is no exception.  All this for about the price of a Big Mac Value Meal and a person has a very pleasant lunch to savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment