Sunday, April 10, 2016

At the Osh Bazaar

Today, my Pakistani co-workers Nooruddin and Karim took me to the Osh Bazaar, which is the largest open air market in Kyrgyzstan.  We probably only had the time to see about 20% of the market, it is so large.  It is a bit of a drive from where I live in the center of the city, so I was fortunate that Karim was kind enough to take us in his car. 

I have a small radius of places I go to in Bishkek as I travel everywhere by foot, so it was nice to be able to venture outside my radius.  The Osh Bazaar literally has everything one could imagine from fresh produce to clothing to electronics.  This is where the average Kyrgyz person does their shopping, not at the fancy Bishkek Park mall that is situated near my apartment.  I was able to purchase some wonderful produce, bulk nuts, and fresh bread during my outing.



The main hall at the Osh Bazaar.  My co-workers Nooruddin and Karim in the foreground.

Main Hall


The stall where I purchased fresh walnuts and dried apricots.
One of the stands selling fresh bread.  Bread is an inexpensive staple in Kyrgyz culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment