Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Becoming a Global Citizen

On one hand, this particular blog is a travel blog, providing the reader with a tiny and very narrow glimpse into the world of Central Asia.  It is also, to a small degree, a personal blog, providing people who know me with a very basic idea of what I am doing in the region.  Finally, this blog has morphed, somewhat unintentionally, into a place where I toss out a few ideas about the importance of having a broader global (non-Trumpian) perspective.  In light of this third new purpose of the blog, I would like to share a TED talk by Hugh Evans that encapsulates what I believe is an essential world view that we must all consider if we are to survive as humans on this fragile planet.  This talk is entitled:  What does it mean to be a citizen of the world?

https://go.ted.com/Cy8y

Evans talks about what it means to be a Global Citizen and why it is so important for us to have this perspective.  I also encourage you to check out his organization's website and consider joining.

www.globalcitizen.org/en

A medieval, parochial world view that identifies and vilifies "enemies," looks for military solutions as the primary answer to world problems, encourages tribalism, and fails to account for the least among us is the perspective of the oblivious that I would advocate we rise above.  I hope you find these two links enlightening and motivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment