Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Meaning of Three Scallops

(Originally posted November 3)

I am on my way to Tajikistan with an intermediate stop in Bishkek. Whenever I am in Bishkek, I am always searching for food that isn't gretchka or chicken, seeking comfort in cuisine.

Indeed, I discovered that a shipment of fresh seafood had just arrived by plane to one of my favorite eateries. On the top of the fresh list were scallops. Though the price was unreasonable, I could not resist the temptation, because a fresh scallop in Kyrgyzstan is as rare as flamingos and palm trees on a tropical beach in Antarctica. Though give us about a half a century, and given current trends, those Antarctic palm trees might just become a reality.

Scallops are the most delicate of seafood. If you didn't know what you were eating, you might not even guess that they are from the ocean as they possess almost no fishy flavor. Scallops must be treated gently, because when cooked improperly they can become rubbery, not much more pleasing than eating an eraser. They are overshadowed by the breading when deep fried and certainly cannot be casually added to soups or chowders like the tough and durable clam, for when placed in a stew, a scallop disintegrates and almost disappears. Luckily the three scallops I was served, were cooked as they should be, seared in a frying pan with some light seasoning, retaining their richness and slight sweetness.

It was a plate of comfort on this raw, cold November day.

Comfort. After I finished my three scallops, I considered the lengths I sometimes go to while living in Kyrgyzstan to seek out comfort, especially in the form of food. And when I contemplate this excessive comfort I am able to obtain, I always seem to think of those who do not have any comfort in their lives.

What kind of unattainable luxury would three scallops be for most of those who live in Kyrgyzstan? Or for most of the world, indeed? And how many on this planet do not have the comfort of shelter? Or health care? Or clean water? Or are refugees? Those of us who seek comfort without consideration, I wonder about the moral condition we possess. I possess.

Perhaps my eternal fate does not depend upon the three scallops on my plate. But maybe it does depend on the concept of comfort. Advancing our own comfort can be a questionable moral endeavor depending upon the circumstance, but there is no ambiguity about our relationship to the comfort of others. For when we cast a blind eye to the comfort of those in need, then we truly must worry about our fate.

The faith tradition from which I come is quite clear. In the final judgment of humanity, mercy is given to those who provide food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty, clothing to the naked, comfort to the sick and to prisoners, and welcome to all strangers. Providing comfort. That is what we must do as humans. Those who do not provide comfort, do not receive mercy.

This election is all about comfort. The President is offering the opposite. Not only isn't comfort being offered to the stranger or the refugee, but instead, the President is offering 10,000 troops with guns to meet a refugee caravan at our border. No food to the hungry. No comfort to the sick. Even worse, hateful rhetoric is offered, pitting one group against the other. Anyone from my faith tradition who supports this vision offered by the President has actually abandoned their faith tradition completely. That is why this election is so important. Depending upon the results, we will be choosing to believe in a society that attempts to provide aid and comfort to all or to believe in a society where only people from certain privileged groups are considered worthy of receiving the common good.

I suppose I should not worry too much about the three scallops on my plate, as long as I am willing to share two of them, with anyone, each and every day. And as long as I work actively and vote actively to extend comfort and hospitality to all those in need. As our first priority. No matter what.




No comments:

Post a Comment