Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Joy of Pie

(Originally posted, June 30)

I have participated in debates, icebreakers, and other activities where people (Americans) discuss which they prefer: cake or pie. While I enjoy cake, I definitely fall strongly into the pie lovers camp. Although, one can find a nice cake in virtually every country of the world, including Kyrgyzstan, pies are a much rarer commodity.

This evening I went out to dinner with my parents and we all had pie for dessert. It is almost July and yet it is only my first piece of pie of the year. Luckily in the State of Washington it is berry season--cherry and berry pies being my favorite type of pie. I enjoyed a delicious piece of Oregon Marionberry pie (a hybrid cousin of the blackberry only grown in the West) and my parents both enjoyed strawberry-rhubarb pie.

The eating of fruit pie is a reminder that the simplest of pleasures are sometimes the ones that touch our spirits most deeply.


No comments:

Post a Comment