Monday, July 25, 2016

Sentences I never thought I would utter during my lifetime

"I'm living in a former colony of the Soviet Union."

"Right now this poor, former colony seems more politically stable than the United States."

"Donald Trump is the Republican nominee for President."
(I've actually said this sentence many times. And still my head spins every time I say it.)

"There's a frighteningly good chance the U.S. will elect a neo-fascist for its leader."

"72% of Evangelical Christians in the U.S. support the use of torture by our government."
(That partly explains why we might elect the neo-fascist. And I'm sure Christ was beaming with pride in heaven when He heard this little factoid.)

"I thought for sure we were going to hit that cement truck."
(An observation I made during the van ride from the Astana Airport to the Diplomat Hotel.)

"I'm not trying to frighten all of you, but, yes, the U.S. could elect Trump."
(An excerpt from a recent discussion with my Canadian co-workers.)

"Yes, I actually enjoyed the horse meat."
(Something I said in a Kyrgyz restaurant.)

"I am working for a secular Islamic-based organization."

"This Islamic-based organization represents the secular, American ideals of Madison and Jefferson more closely than many of the organizations I've worked for in the United States."

"Простите, где туалет?"
(Russian for "Excuse me, where's the toilet?" I never thought I'd utter any sentences in Russian during my lifetime.)

"So there really won't be any hot water for a month?"
(Technically, it's a sentence I texted to my Kyrgyz landlord.)

"He kind of makes George W. Bush look like Abraham Lincoln."
(A statement made in reference to Donald J. Trump. I admit I might have had a bit of a fever at the time I said it.)

"Watch out for the herd of goats!"
(Shouted to the driver of the car taking us to Naryn.)

"No, I've never had a cold slice of pickle pizza for breakfast before."
(My response to a question posed by my fellow diners at summer camp this week. And, yes, that truly was the breakfast entree.)

"I think we all would be f***ing doomed."
(My assessment of what would what happen if Trump were elected President, when asked by a Canadian co-worker. It was at a social gathering and I admit I might have had a bit of a fever at the time I said it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment