Sunday, March 11, 2018

What I Found a Short Walk from our Nation's Capitol

While I was in Washington D.C. waiting for my train for Virginia, I took a walk near Union Station and the Capitol Building. Just six blocks from the capitol I stumbled across this small tent village for homeless people.

Six blocks away from the Capitol Building, where just weeks ago Congress passed a tax cut that put billions and billions of dollars into the pockets of the richest Americans, I found a group of my fellow citizens with not much more than the clothes on their backs living on the streets. Thank goodness Congress has its priorities straight, passing a tax bill where well over half the benefits of the bill go to the richest 1% of Americans.

Donald Trump and his Republican minions have passed a tax bill that increases their personal fortunes dramatically, while ignoring poor Americans completely. We live in a country where there are homeless on the streets, almost inside the shadow cast by the building where these unjust laws are made.

Time was running short, so I had to return to Union Station to catch my train. As I boarded the southbound Northeast Regional, I realized I am from a country that has lost its soul and concern for the common good and I wondered if it is even possible for us to regain what has, for the moment, disappeared.


No comments:

Post a Comment