Saturday, December 16, 2017

What I learned this semester

It's the official last evening of Fall Semester. Unlike most people, I don't measure my life in years, but in semesters. And at the end of each semester I try to reflect upon what I have learned.

It isn't the best time to reflect, because I am tired and ready to rest, but I think there are a couple of things I might have learned in my journey through approximately the 100th semester of my life--if one counts nursery school, doesn't include summer semesters, considers each rare six-month period I didn't work in education as a semester, and converts the quarters I spent at Eastern Washington University and the University of Washington into the semester system.

I learned that there are 18,774 potholes on the road from Darvaz to Khorog and that I landed in 11,209 of them. I learned that one's kidneys can recover from landing in 11,209 potholes, but it does take a couple days. I learned that I am happy eating boiled buckwheat (grechka) four times a week. It's that fifth time that really pushes you over the edge. I learned that it can take up to six months to acquire 100 coffee mugs and get them shipped to campus.

In the world of current events, I learned that being an American is something one doesn't advertise quite so freely anymore, now that our new leader is in power. Most people had a warm glow around them when I spoke with them about our previous President. The current leader causes awkward silences, looks of horror, expressions of condolences, and discussions laced with outright fear. I am learning that it doesn't take much misconduct or effort to dismantle political institutions and social programs that define a nation's greatness.

Of course, what I've learned most acutely are the things I re-learn every semester of my life. I learned that I truly enjoy working with college students--for about the 50th time. I learned that collaborating with the people on my student life team (on two campuses) is one of the most fulfilling things that I do in my life from semester to semester. I learned that my strengths are input, maximizer, ideation, intellection, and positivity--though some days I wonder, especially about that last one. I've learned to appreciate acronyms and the ideals and people they represent more and more like SLA, SLT, SLAT, ACLU, NRCAT, AKDN, CU, UP, WISP, MLA, INTP/J, C-R, and countless others. Conversely there are acronyms that I dread, but if I mention them I will find myself in serious trouble. One of the little gems that I had forgotten but have put high on my list of important lessons to never stop learning is that laughter is a wondrous gift one should never do without. Most important of all, I have learned again that the connections one makes with other people are what causes life to be joyful and worth living.

Next year begins the 101st--or so--semester of my life. The best part of living life in semesters is that when you think of your life in this way, as continuous segments of learning, then it is the precious lessons that you acquire that begin to take precedence in your life and you realize that every day can be like a commencement, the advent of a deeper, richer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment