Friday, April 21, 2017

Green

I don't think much about colors. They are such an inevitable and fixed part of the world, they inhabit our existence without much consideration on my part.

Yesterday, though, I suddenly realized that my life had been almost devoid of one color for the past six months. I had been suffering from green deprivation.

When walking across campus, I noticed patches of green popping up all over. The lawn, which had been a carpet of white since last year, then a muck of brown mud, was now a verdant, emerald field. I stood awestruck, almost blinded, as though staring at the sun. My eyes watered, overwhelmed by the sheer force of the greenness that they were taking in. I imagined it was how a person might feel when wandering through the desert, lost and parched with thirst for months, only to suddenly stumble miraculously across a glorious azure lake.

Green. I have always been partial to shades of blue or red. But now, I realize how my affection for green has been concealed deep within my soul, uncovered like a hidden insight one discovers about another person deeply loved. The spectrum of the rainbow contains a multitude of hues, as does our daily lives. Without even one subtle tint, how much our lives can be diminished.


No comments:

Post a Comment