Saturday, June 25, 2016

Spice Bazaar and Grand Bazaar

Arrived today in Istanbul for a mini vacation, as I am not sure if will be able to have another holiday before Christmas. I am staying in a lovely little hotel in Sultanahmet, which is Istanbul's historic old city.

I wandered off in the afternoon to do buy some spices at the Spice Bazaar that can't be easily found in Kyrgyzstan like allspice, saffron, turmeric, and garam masala.  Then went to the Grand Bazaar, which is one of the largest and oldest markets in Europe. Both markets give a person an extraordinary taste of Turkey and its mercantile heritage.

The Istanbul cityscape as seen from outside Spice Bazaar
Inside the Spice Bazaar

Shop where I purchased spices


The turmeric I purchased was stored in its own special drawer

Entrance to the Grand Bazaar

The Grand Bazaar dates back to the 1600s.  Pictured is an area where people can wash their hands. 

So many shops, I lost count.

Another place to wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment